No.of Epis: 16Year/TV Station: 2008/MBC
Cast:
Lee Sung Jae ~ Han Min Kook
Lee Soo Kyung ~ Woo Yi Kyung
Ryu Soo Young ~ Byun Hyuk
Han Eun Jung ~ Lee Ae Ri
Synopsis: (edited from MBC Global Media)
Yi Kyung is a secretary at a major law firm when she fell head-over-heels in love with Byun Hyuk, a rising star attorney in the firm. They fell madly in love with each other and ended up living together for three years. However, one day, Byun Hyuk decided to leave her for the States, and all she had left were his law school books. The despaired Yi Kyung studied day and night with Byun Hyuk’s books, and soon passed the bar exam herself. Yi Kyung ends up opening her own tiny office with no employees. Her first task is to represent Han Min Kook, who winds up in a huge divorce lawsuit that could cost him an incredible sum of $100 million dollars. This case also lands Yi Kyung in a funny, cute tale of romance. Meanwhile, the story takes an odd twist when it is discovered that Han Min Kook’s ex-wife, Lee Ae Ri, is Yi Kyung’s good friend, and the lawyer representing Ae Ri is none other than Byun Hyuk himself. At the end of the day, Yi Kyung is left with the challenge of facing a showdown with her friend, Ae Ri, as well as her first love, Byun Hyuk.
Slacker's review:
Honestly, I'm watching this for Ryu Soo Young. Butta, it's a pity that he's not the main lead here, and he didn't get the girl! Arrggh! Actually I thought this drama was average in terms of storyline, but i was impressed by the performance from Lee Sung Jae. (He's more of a movie actor). Initially I didn't like his character HMK..not handsome, the way he speaks just irks me, and he didn't treat AR well etc. However, I gotta admit HMK was a funny fella when he met YK. I like their scenes together. The best scene was when YK said upteen times "YES" to MK's question. Back to the plot, the problem here is it's just simply too plain. We cld already expect what will happen next, and what's the ending. It's just sad that our BH & YK cld only remain as friends. (How i wish they cld end up together!) Just one gd e.g. on how typical the plot was..BH didn't explain why he left YK for the States. Kdrama fans sure can guess he must have left for some gd reasons...(and so he did...to save his dad..)
First time watching Lee Soo Kyung...I thought her performance was alright, nothing too unique or spectacular from her. Her chemistry with LSJ was not bad, but i thought she looked better with RSY. Hehe! Many ppl in soompi commented on how unethical YK was...coz' she shld nt have fall in love with her plaintiff (that's MK). Also, she continued to stay with BH, who's AR's lawyer. Just not quite right. Well, all i cld say is...the storyline still have room for improvement la.
Han Eun Jung..from the day i saw her in "Successful Story of a Bright Girl" up till now..she still hasn't change much, in terms of image, choice of character, acting. AR is not a devilish woman..she's quite pity actually. But i didn't see much improvement from HEJ, perhaps AR did not have much character development ba. I really hope she cld pick something more interesting or daring, and shed her classy rich sexy woman image.
As for RSY...I didn't know why he wanna pick this role. (This role is more suitable for 2nd rate or newbie actors). Well, I like all the scenes b/w BH and YK. Yeah..they quarrelled alot after BH returned to Korea...but i still cld feel the lingering feelings YK had for BH. I am pretty glad that they didnt become dead enemies in the end, but again, if BH had explained why he left her for 6 yrs, YK wld have returned to his side. (That's what YK told him..) Btw, this is the 3rd drama RSY had cooperated with HEJ. Though they didn't end up as a couple here, i thought their chemistry was quite good too.
The ost is quite ok...I like the sub-theme "Home sick" very much. Nice rap & vocal from Pk Herman & Song Ji Eun.
Is this drama worth watching? (that's really hard to say..) I cld only say that it's watchable, but it won't be a must-watch. The storyline is simply too predictable, and the theme of the drama (focused on the divorce case) wasn't interesting from the start.