No.of Epis: 11Year/TV Stn: 2010/Fuji TV
Cast:
Eita ~ Nakajima Keisuke/"Nakaji"
Ueno Juri ~ Mizuno Tsukiko/"Haru"
Seki Megumi ~ Nishimura Hikari/"Peach"
Tamayama Tetsuji ~ Ichihara Kaoru/"Linda"
Hero JaeJoong ~ Park Seonsu/"Doctor"
Synopsis: (edited from Dramawiki)
Nakajima looks up to his father, who was a war photographer, but can only get a job as an assistant for gravure magazines. Mizuno is a provisional high school teacher and currently on probation. Nishimura is Mizuno's best friend, and her boyfriend has been avoiding her since she discovered that she was pregnant. Ichihara works at a magazine where he sexually harassed by his chief editor. Park, on Twitter, takes on the persona of a doctor, but he is actually a medical equipment salesperson. The five become good friends, supporting each other, but they struggle to pour out their true feelings.
Slacker's review:
One reason why I watched the drama is because of the scriptwriter, Kitagawa Eriko, who wrote many of my favourite Japanese dramas. The next reason is because of the cast. However, I'm quite disappointed with "Sunao", in terms of plot developments. I just felt that the storyline was rather stagnant, and some of the characters were quite unconvincing. What a waste! Ending was expected, but this time round, I'm not even rooting for the main couple. They just lacked the chemistry. The only side plot I really liked was b/w Linda & Nakaji. The development b/w the two was filled with mixed emotions, contradictions and sacrifices. Very touching & delicate, and the interesting thing is, this side plot was b/w 2 guys. Haha!
Glad to see Eita & Ueno again. However, their performances in "Sunao" were really a far-cry from their previous drama, "Last Friends". I did not like Nakaji, not that I disapprove him loving a married woman. I thought he cld handle his r/s a lot more better. The storyline b/w Nakaji and Haru was really boring, and moving too slow. Even when they ended up together, it's just not convincing to me. I cld not tell how in love they were with each other. Where's the chemistry they had in "Last Friends"??
I liked Ueno trying different roles. She's back with a feminine role, but I did not like Haru. Haru loved Nakaji, but chose Doctor. Why? Coz' Doctor appeared at the right time. However, it was very clear that she was forcing herself to be with a guy she was thankful with, and I disliked her giving Doctor hopes.
Seki's Peach was my least fav. character. She's not a good friend. Why? Coz' she knew Haru liked Nakaji but still kept her distance close to the guy. Was she jealous of Haru? Maybe. She needs someone to accompany her. She's lonely, but she did not know how to love.
Tamayama's story was the most touching and saddening one. First of all, his boss kept asking for "extra service". Next, he fell for Nakaji. However, it's forbidden love and he cld only cry by himself. He's so helpful to his friends and willing to sacrifice himself for them. He chose the ending himself, but I knew he was really in pain. That...cld be the best option and easiest way out. (Though I wld not agree to that method at all). I'm glad to see Tamayama controlling his emotions well in the drama. Perhaps, Kitagawa only developed this character well enough.
Finally, Jae Joong. Maybe he shld stick to singing? Ok, that might be an unfair comment, since he's acting in a Japanese drama. Doctor was a yasahii (gentle) guy, but he had the courage to fight for his love & dreams. He knew how to let go and when to confess his feelings. While he seemed to be imperfect in many ways, he also had something which others lacked. It's a little pity that Jae Joong's acting was still quite green to me. Nevertheless, it's nice to see Jae Joong uttering some Korean throughout the drama.
Theme song is "Hard to say I love you ~Ii Dasenakute~" by WEAVER & insert song is "Sunao ni Narenakute" by Sugawara Sayuri.