Thursday, January 29, 2009

TV Drama Review #173 - General Hospital 2 综合医院2

No.of Epis: 17
Year/TV Station: 2008-2009/MBC
Cast:
Lee Jae Ryong ~ Kim Do Hoon
Cha Tae Hyun ~ Choi Jin Sang
Kim Jung Eun ~ Jung Ha Yoon
Ryu Jin ~ Baek Hyun Woo
Lee Jong Won ~ Han Ki Tae
Go Joon Hee ~ Kang Eun Ji
Do Ji Won ~ Song Hye Soo
Synopsis:
Ha Yoon passed the bar examination so that she could become a lawyer who helps patients in malpractice cases. She decides to join a residency after she completes her internship. She meets Choi Jin Sang, who's famous for creating trouble. Though Jin Sang lacks in every way as a doctor, he makes the effort to help his patients. Hyun Woo is the total opposite of Jin Sang. He's the top student in medical school, and Prof Han recruited him to join his medical research team. He's mature and understanding, while Jin Sang is childish and can be annoying at times. Ha Yoon also created lots of problems as she has been critical towards doctors who compromised their values.
Eun Ji is Jin Sang's good friend and she has a crush on him. Later on, she starts to worry as Jin Sang and Ha Yoon keep getting into petty arguments. Do Hoon and Ki Tae are the staff docs in General Surgery dept. Ki Tae seems to be glamourous as he's famous while Do Hoon is more down-to-earth. Both of them do not seem to work quite well with each other, as they think and do things differently. And, Ki Tae used to like Dr. Song, the E.R dept staff, who has been in love with Kim for 10 yrs.
Slacker's review:
GS 2 is the sequel of "General Hospital" which was aired 14 yrs ago. I didn't watch GS, but the sequel's plot was not linked to it. The veteran cast like Lee Jae Ryong and some other support cast were from GS though. I haven't enjoyed a medical series after "Surgeon BDH", and I thought GS 2 was not bad, though romance was nt the big focus here. The main plot focused on individual struggles of the interns/docs. We got to see the resident docs overcoming their problems, like the minor errors which cld worsen the condition of the patients, deaths of patients etc. Also, the plot also touched on individual stories of the patients. Plus, the position of hospital/docs vs patients & families. That's typically the main plot of every medical drama. I didn't like how they let Kim kena cancer towards the end of the drama. Ya he didn't die, but the concept was overused. (We need more creativity)
So, what's interesting was KJE's Ha Yoon. She shld be a lawyer focusing on medical malpractice, thus her position and background really let her caused lots of problems here. U might find Ha Yoon annoying as she always stood from the patients' pt of view, but sometimes she didn't know that "justice" can backfire too. I like her scenes with Jin Sang & Hyun Woo. They were like the "3 musketeers" in the dept. Hahaha. Of coz, many ppl wld think that Jin Sang wld end up with Ha Yoon....err...That's nt the case here. Ha Yoon ended up with Hyun Woo!!! Yeahh! Finally Ryu Jin's character got the girl! lolz! I really like this couple...Hyun Woo was always there for Ha Yoon...he supported and trusted her. Jin Sang was actually quite a nice guy too, but he's always slower than Hyun Woo la. I liked how Ha Yoon always called Jin Sang "Tehji" (pig in korean)....it was just so cute for Ha Yoon to do that. So, how's KJE's performance??? I really liked it! She's no longer the "sha da jie" in her previous dramas. She looked younger here, more professional and serious. Ha Yoon is a character who changed slowly and realised her passion to become a doctor; she used to hate docs becoz' of the incident of her dad but now she has decided to be a doc to prevent such things to happen again.
CTH is not a young lad anymore, but he looked so chubby and young here! His scenes brought me lots of laughter, and of coz...lots of worries as he kept getting into trouble. Lolz! So, u know how proud he was when he was the 1st resident doc to complete a surgery at the end of the show. Hehehe! I missed his cow mooing ringtone and seeing him drinking his milk. Haha!
Very glad to see RJ, who's quite underrated in a fairly impt character. I guessed the biggest obstacle for Hyun Woo was Prof Han. Hyun Woo is nt a fella who simply follow orders, though he seemed to be more obedient as compared to Ha Yoon and Jin Sang. Luckily the screenwriter didn't make him into a proud and arrogant fella. HW was interested in Ha Yoon from the start of the drama, and I was hoping for more developments b/w them. But, that only happened in the last few epis...too little la! And Ha Yoon seemed to like Prof Kim...but it's not really obvious. Maybe the "liking" has nothing to do with romace...and Ha Yoon also knew that Dr. Song liked Kim...no chance ne.
It's a pity tt Go Joon Hee didn't get much scenes, as compared to other support cast. I thought that they shld developed abit more on Eun Ji's r/s with Jin Sang. There's no scene to show that the two were together, but I think Jin Sang was probably fine with the idea. Lolz!
The other cast like LJR, LJW, DJW etc did a gd job in portraying senior doctors and their professionalism. Of coz...handling the rookies wasn't an easy task. Lolz. I like the "wedding" scene of Prof Kim and Dr. Song...it was really a touching moment.
OST was alright, nice insert songs like "Pastel Smile" by Song Hee Ran & Kim Bum Soo's "Desire".
I think they are clearing the old characters from GS to make way for new cast for the upcoming GS 3 in yrs time. Hopefully I wld get to see the current cast in the next sequel too.