Monday, November 19, 2012

TV Drama Review #375 - What is Love 花是爱

No.of Eps: 16
Yr/TV Stn: 2012/TTV
Cast:
Chou You Ting ~ Li Yi Hua
Chris Wu ~ Bai Zong You
Duncan Lai ~ Zhang Shao Qian
Kimi Hsia ~ Wu Xiao Lu
Synopsis: (edited from Dramawiki)
A woman, who is a stickler for romantic love and in hope of a monogamous marry life, meets a philanderer who loves to woo and break women's hearts. In their battle for love, will she surrender her principle and become one of his conquest, or will she succeed in making him a loyal husband? Review:
I am quite disappointed with the drama, because the plot and acting failed to meet my expectations. Initially the drama was quite interesting as Bai Zong You kept on thinking of how to get hold of Li Yi Hua, and when Shao Qian came into the picture, the love triangle became more exciting. However, as the plot moves on, Shao Qian admited defeat and "disappeared" from the drama, Yi Hua and Zong You are together but their romance bored me! The final twist at the last episode was really unnecessary, and I am not even happy about the happy ending. Haha!
I enjoyed Chris' performance when he was the support lead in his older dramas, but I began to doubt his acting when he leads a drama. This is not the first drama with him as the lead actor, but I found his acting to be exaggerated, and typical idol-styled expressions.
First time watching Chou You Ting, who used to act in TW hokkien dramas. Her acting was better than Chris, but Yi Hua was not a perfect character. To be honest, she's quite boring. I liked You Ting's scenes with Duncan more as the couple got more chemistry.
Duncan is missing from the TW drama scene for a few years, but he returned looking more matured and manly now. Noted that he's a Hong Konger, his mandarin was kind of unnatural, though accurate. Shao Qian is rather low-key and reserved, hence I can accept Duncan's rather stiff acting. Too bad, they did not made full use of Shao Qian's character by giving him more storyline.
Support cast like Kimi was okay, not much memorable scenes from them.