Thursday, November 22, 2012

TV Drama Review #376 - Nice Guy 善良的男人

No.of Eps: 20
Yr/TV Stn: 2012/KBS
Cast:
Song Joong Ki ~ Kang Ma Roo
Moon Chae Won ~ Seo Eun Gi
Park Si Yeon ~ Han Jae Hee
Lee Kwang Soo ~ Park Jae Gil
Lee Sang Yeob ~ Park Joon Ha
Synopsis: (edited from Dramawiki)
Kang Ma Roo gave up everything for Han Jae Hee, whom he loves, but he was betrayed by her. To get revenge on his ex-girlfriend, he uses her step-daughter and successor to Taesang Group, Seo Eun Gi. Unfortunately, she suffers from brain damage and loss of memory after a car accident, and now Kang Ma Roo works to fix everything that went awry because of his blind sighted revenge and ends up falling in love with Seo Eun Gi.
Review:
"Nice Guy" is a melodrama with a heavy plot, so if you dislike revenge theme, then this is not for you. To be honest, I am not a melodrama fan, but the plot was interestng enough for me to give it a chance, plus I am curious to see Moon Chae Won's role.
The plot have a few twists & turns, but nothing too surprising for me. The 3 main leads ended up playing their own revenge games but nobody succeed. The drama kept a good balance between revenge, romance, and character development. Ending was a great one, though many things are left unexplained, but I guessed it's not that important.
First time watching Song Joong Ki, and I thought his boyish looks would affect his performance as his face is too pretty to act as a guy who have too much hatred. Luckily Mr Song proved that he could deliver more than just a pretty face. His acting was not too convincing initally but he hitted the right notes as the story progresses. Lots of mixed emotions from Ma Roo and we saw a determined man protecting Eun Gi later on.
Moon Chae Won's Eun Gi is a complicated character who suffered from several memory loss, and has to fake one in order to plot her revenge. Actually her life is too tiring and she has been acting strong for too long. MCW's acting is always convincing and Eun Gi gave her lots of opportunity to prove that she can act in more complex roles. Chemistry with SJK was not bad.
Park Si Yeon returns to dramaland with a very interesting character. I am glad she's up for the challenge. Jae Hee actually drives the whole story. Without her, Ma Roo and Eun Gi need not suffer. Even though MCW is the main female lead, I felt that PSY's Jae Hee was more like the main character in the drama. I guessed this is one of the best performance I've seen from PSY.
I am familiar with Running Man Kwang Soo, but actor Kwang Soo is the first time. I think he's alright here, acting was natural but character was kinda plain.
Lee Sang Yeob is a new face to me as well, but apparently he was in many dramas which I watched before. Joon Ha is always there for Eun Gi, but it's a pity that his sacrifice did not get him much returns.