Wednesday, March 04, 2009

TV Drama Review #178 - Terroir 泰勒瓦

No.of Epis: 20
Year/TV Station: 2008-2009/SBS
Cast:
Kim Joo Hyuk ~ Kang Tae Min
Han Hye Jin ~ Lee Woo Joo
Ki Tae Young ~ Joy (Jo Yi) Park
Yoo Sun ~ Ahn Ji Seon
Synopsis: (edited from SBS global site)
When Tae Min was young, his uncle took him to France and let him explore himself in the world of wines. It’s there that he met Ji Seon, who was adopted, and Tae Min feels his wounds healing with the help of Ji Seon and the wine. One day, Tae Min leaves for Bordeaux, France to grant the long-cherished wishes of Mir Trading President Yang Seung Geol and his uncle who is now in the final stages of his cancer. Their wish is to taste the 1945 bottle of Chateau Mouton Mayer. Meanwhile, Lee Woo Joo was raised by her grandparents in a traditional Korean winery called Nancho. She decides to leave for France after her boyfriend studying abroad in France hasn’t called her for a year. At last, Tae Min gets his hands on the wine, but the bottle ends up being switched with Woo Joo's raspberry wine. Tae Min reveals that he lost the bottle and President Yang thinks that he hid the wine from him and begin to be suspicious of him. Later, Tae Min's uncle passed away and Tae Min receives Nancho from his uncle's will.
Woo Joo's grandfather has to move out and Tae Min changes Nancho to Terroir, a western restaurant. Tae Min couldn't buy any wine as President Yang gets into his way, while Woo Joo constantly bickers with him. Woo Joo gets acquainted with Joy Park, who happens to be responsible for Tae Min's parents' deaths...
Slacker's review:
Terroir is one typical Korean romance drama which features red wine has its central theme. This is the 1st Kr drama to feature red wine, but the plot was really standard, u can guess what happens next and there's no twists. Well, the drama had lots of backstabbing from Yang and his employee who didn't want to see Tae Min succeed. Also, there's the typical love triangle b/w Tae Min, Ji Seon & Woo Joo, plus Tae Min, Woo Joo and Joy. And, there's the cliche plot of grandson working against grandfather. Although the the flow of the drama was expected, it's still watchable as a whole, as I was really curious how Tae Min would fall for Woo Joo. Hehe!
It has been a long time since I last saw Kim Joo Hyuk in "Lovers in Prague" and "Love Me Not". I really liked his performance and he didn't make me disappointed in "Terroir" as well. TM may seemed to be strong and confident on the outside, but he can be pretty weak inside. Initially, I like how arrogant TM was...but I didn't like how he reacted as the drama moved on, especially how he handled his relationship. But I thought this wld make TM a more realistic person as nobody is perfect in real life. Chemistry with Hye Jin was great, and with Yoo Sun too.
I think I havent watch Han Hye Jin's previous works before, though I watched some parts of "Jumong". Anyway, I liked HHJ's portrayal as Woo Joo. I like her short hair cut (made her looked younger) and she's always cheerful, before her relationship with Tae Min became closer. Also, I like HHJ's scenes when she learnt about red wines, and when she's competing with other pros in a competition.
Long time didn't see Yoo Seon...and she's quite a veteran actress la. Nice performance from her. Ji Seon was quite a pitiful character here, so u can't hate her though she wasn't nice to Woo Joo after she knew what happened b/w WJ & TM. Luckily, Ji Seon did end up with somebody in the end. **Happy**
Joy Park...another sad character. Nice to Ki Tae Young again (he was in "Star's Lover" too..) and in this drama, he's finally a support lead. I bet nobody will dislike Joy till he turned bad. Perhaps even some of you wld want WJ to end up with him. He's such a nice guy, but the closest ppl beside him could'nt forgive him for what he did. That made him guilty and sad for so many yrs, and finally...he walked to the wrong path and nearly did the wrong things. Like Ji Seon, I didn't dislike this guy though he nearly ruined TM and his grandpa. Well, KTY's performance was quite good la, as compared to his character in "Star's Lover". I liked to see him with HHJ too, nice chemistry.
Support cast was not bad, though WJ's aunt was rather annoying. The chef was quite a funny fella la. Didn't like the restaurant manager as well....she's always picking on WJ! Haha!
OST was alright, there are some nice insert songs. Can't rmb much of the instrumentals ne...