Sunday, March 22, 2009

TV Drama Review #181 - Triangle 三角迷踪

No.of Epis: 11
Year/TV Station: 2009/KTV & FujiTV
Cast:
Eguchi Yosuke ~ Goda Ryoji
Inagaki Goro ~ Kuroki Shun
Hirosue Ryoko ~ Sachi
Aibu Saki ~ Goda Yui
Kohinata Fumiyo ~ Maruyama Keita
Synopsis: (edited from Dramawiki)
"Triangle" starts with the murder of a 10-year-old girl in 1984. 15 years later, after the case goes unsolved and passes the statute of limitations, a doctor named Goda Ryoji suddenly quits his job as a doctor and joined the Interpol. In 2008, he meets Sachi, a traveling artist in Paris, and shortly after Goda returns to Japan, he becomes involved in the expired murder case when a detective, Kuroki, receives an anonymous phone call with regards to the case.
Slacker's review:
Initially, my expectations for "Triangle" was high, because it's not those simple or cliched thriller plots. But well, after watching a few epis, I knew that the storyline would be going round & round until the final epi, where everything wld be revealed. The excitement of the drama didn't continue for long as the suspects were soon "cleared" from the case. There were lots of twists in the drama, like how Goda's friends were involved, Sachi and her real brother, how Kuroki's father turned out to be a good guy, and finally...the murderer who had always been there with others etc. The twists were nicely done, but I disliked the fact that the case wasn't progressing as the storyline moved on. I also didn't like how Goda always knew what happened next or who's involved in the case indirectly/directly. Actually I think the main theme for this drama is to let people know that they should lead their own lives, because living your lives for someone/some incidents was a painful process, and in the end, you might not gain anything. Though for Goda, I think at least he found the person responsible for the death of his childhood friend, and he could finally let go...
It's nice to see Eguchi again, and he hasn't changed much. Actually Goda was not a very challenging role for him, coz' he's one stiff person who's always suspecting other ppl's motives etc. Eguchi's acting was great, but the character didn't really have much development. Liked his chemistry with Hirosue, though they didn't end up together...what a waste~
Glad to see Hirosue back with a lead role...Sachi was an interesting character as there's lots of character development for her. She was a "substitue" daughter ; found her long lost brother, and later how she decided to find out the truth with Goda etc. I wondered if Goda would lose himself if he had not met Sachi. The ending for Sachi was a sad one...but nicely done. Well, Hirosue proved that she could act, and I liked her in "Departures" too. Looking forward to her next piece of work...
Finally, Goro redeemed himself from his previous drama, which I thought was quite a mess. Acting wise, Goro was still the same, though I didn't think he need to do much. Kuroki was just a normal detective who's helping Goda to solve the case. He's more of a support role, but I liked his chemistry with Goda. Sometimes they didn't seem to click, but they could be good partners in work. Kuroki's main problem was his father, as he's one of the prime suspects involved in the case. As a son, he couldn't trust his father, and doubted him. Soon, he gotta faced another challenge as he couldn't trust the colleague beside him. I thought there could be some romance b/w Kuroki and Yui, but nothing happened....haha!
Kohinata is a veteran, saw him in many dramas, and this is one of the few dramas where his role was really crucial. Actually there's only one scene to hint that Maruyama was involved in the murder case, but the plot quickly "dismissed" the fact that he was involved by using Sachi's dad as the scapegoat. So, I think it wld be hard to guess that he's that fella everybody was looking for all these yrs. Hahaha! Anyway, it's still quite exciting to see Maruyama vs Goda/Kuroki.
Thumbs up to other support cast like Aibu Saki, Tanihara Shosuke, Sasaki Kuranosuke & others, they did made the drama "more fun" by contributing more confusion...haha!
Themesong "Sayonara wa Iwanai" by Oda Kazumasa. It's quite a nice song and some of the instrumentals in the OST are nice too.
If you don't mind getting a little confused or likes to see how the characters got suspected, then "Triangle" could be quite an interesting drama for u.