Friday, September 04, 2009

TV Drama Review #205 - Buang Ruk Kamathep 丘比特的圈套

Zorpia Photo Sharing: Free Unlimited Storage & Bandwidth
No.of Episodes: 28
Year/TV Station: 2009/Ch 5
Cast:
Nawat Kulrattanarak (Pong) ~ Phubodee
Namthip Jongrachatawiboon (Bee) ~ Ornicha
Pakorn Namo (Tui) ~ Tawee
Ornjira Larmwilai (Pang) ~ Giftgay
Chayatorn Setjinda (Ton) ~ Pawat
Sinitha Boonyasak ~ Oranee
Synopsis: (edited from Wiki Sarnworld)
Phubodee is summoned back home from America by his mum Sumon as his younger brother Pawat has fallen in love with a older woman, Oranee, who's a divorcee & works as a seamstress. Phubodee tried to seperate Pawat & Oranee with money, but to no avail. Phubodee then lies to Pawat that he wld be able to marry Oranee if he works in America for a year. To assure Oranee that he is not abandoning her, the couple secretly wed and Pawat’s friend Tawee acts as their witness. Oranee's father suffers from a stroke and his family had no money to pay for his hospital bills. Phubodee takes the opportunity & offers Oranee some money, with a condition that she must break up with Pawat. With no other choices, Oranee takes the money to pay for her father’s hospital bill and surgery. Gleefully, Phubodee lies to Pawat that Oranee has taken his money & she is just another woman who's after money. Pawat does not believe him and wants to return to Thailand to question Oranee. Unfortuanately, Pawat is killed in an accident. Sadden by her husband's death, Oranee attempts suicide, but is saved by Ornicha. Later, Oranee learns that she is 2 mths pregnant with Pawat's child. Phubodee learns from Tawee that Pawat & Oranee are legally married & Oranee has rights to Pawat's inheritance. Phubodee searches for Oranee to handle the inheritance issue, but to no avail. Tawee could not find the sisters too, and finally Giftgay revealed that the family has moved to Maehongsorn to avoid Phubodee & his mum. Oranee later gives birth to Tonklah, but dies from excessive blood lost.
After 5 years, Phubodee learns that Oranee has passed away and he has a nephew Tonklah. Phubodee wants to find him but missed his chances. After her father passes away, Ornicha & Tonklah return to Bangkok with Giftgay & Tawee and Ornicha continues her nursing career. Phubodee finally finds Ornicha & Tonklah, but Ornicha is not willing to give up Tonklah. Since the law is not on his side, Phubodee must find other ways to win his nephew's custody.
Slacker's review:
"Buang Ruk" is my 1st complete Thai drama, but this is not my 1st time watching Thai Lakorn (drama). Pong & Bee are the first two Thai actor/actress I knew many years ago, after watching their 1st collaboration in "Lerd Hong" on a Malaysian channel. Happened to see Pong's drama again when I was in Thailand in 2006. So, he has left me a deep impression ah~ Hehe! Anyway, China has started airing Thai dramas, and I finally chanced upon "Buang Ruk" & this is Pong & Bee's 4th collaboration! Anyway, Thai lakorns are pretty standard in terms of plot & characters. So, their dramas seemed pretty "old school" to me. Haha! I have to say this drama is pretty dramatic, just like any other lakorns. There's constant arguments among the leads, and there are the usual evil daughter/mum stuff going on. "Thai-style bickering" seems to drag longer than normal. There's lots of "physical movements" b/w the leads, and the guys liked to pull the women closed to them & insult them. Ha! (A bit buay tahan la~) I guessed my biggest disappointment with Lakorns is that most of their kisses were fake! (That means they borrowed angles to "take cover" la.) I'm sure there are real kisses in some other dramas, but none for Mr. Pong...sobbzz~
Pong Nawat looks like Chinese, as compared to other Thai actors. Anyway, this is where he stands out from the crowd. After watching "Buang Ruk", Pong is no longer the super nice guy I knew in "Lerd Hong". He has transformed into a bad guy image. (that's what happened to him in his other dramas too...) Well, I thought his transformation is quite acceptable, though Phubodee was quite kns most of the time, as he kept insulting Oranicha & her sis. I'm not too sure if I like Phubodee, but he's quite a contradicted guy la. I loved his scenes with Bee towards the end...Phubodee has finally changed his attitude towards Ornicha, and he spoke so softly to the girl. Haha!
Bee Namthip is a very tall girl!! Luckily Pong is tall enough to match her. Ho! Seriously, I loved Bee's performance, except all her screaming scenes. (Thai actresses loved to scream their heads off~omg!) I did not like the young Ornicha, coz' she's really quite abrasive la. The matured Ornicha was so much better. Chemistry with Pong was great too, can't fault them sia~
I'm glad that Tawee & Giftgay were together in the end, though it seemed kinda sudden that Tawee changed his feelings immediately after he let go of Ornicha.
Ton & Tui are "Exact" (production co.) newbies. Basically, their acting were alright, though Tui seemed kinda stiff (he's too tall la...). Sinitha's Oranee was great too. Plengtai Niyomtai, who acted as Tonklah was a very cute boy! Loved his scenes with Pong & Bee.