No.of Eps: 24Yr/TV Stn: 2010/SBS
Cast:
Go Hyun Jung ~ Seo Hye Rim
Kwon Sang Woo ~ Ha Do Ya
Cha In Pyo ~ Kang Tae San
Lee Soo Kyung ~ Jang Se Jin
Synopsis: (edited from Dramatomy.com)
While protesting for her husband’s undeserved death after a political mismanagement, ex-anchorwoman Seo Hye Rim enters politics by proposal of Kang Tae San, who is a member of the ruling party and a strong candidate for the next presidential elections. With the help of Ha Do Ya, whom he had known since her childhood days, Hye Rim eyes the position of President as well & Kang Tae San, who has no thoughts of yielding to Seo Hye Rim, become rivals and clash against each other.
Slacker's review:
Rom-com lovers wld probably find Dae Mul a boring show. You need some determination to finish political dramas. Generally, the drama was about how Seo Hye Rim left her job as an anchorwoman, found herself in dirty politics, and then made her way to president of Korea. So, she became Kang Tae San's rival, and the story went on with how Kang tried to pull her down. On the other hand, the dirty politics part was played out by the guys. Romance was rather kept on surface, emotions not deep enough and I did not feel much for our main couple. Well, this is not a rom-com, so my expectations for romance was low. Chemistry b/w GHJ & KSW was not too bad, but far from sizzling.
GHJ won her 2nd Daesang last yr with her role in Dae Mul last Dec. She's a veteran and no doubt her acting was good, but I thought Seo Hye Rim was not her best role. From a normal widow to a country's President, Hye Rim went through a lot of hurdles and hardship, but somehow something's still lacking...
Nice to see Mr Kwon again. He must be happy to win his excellence award as well, but I thought Cha In Pyo deserved that award more. Do Ya was the main guy, but I thought Tae San was the more impt guy in the drama. Sorry to say, Do Ya was more like a support role beside Hye Rim. KSW's acting was much more matured and convincing, as compared to his last drama "Cinderella Man", but it's a pity that Do Ya's role was not given too much of development, except for his dad's demise.
It has been ages since I last watched Mr Cha's drama. Man, this guy still looked hot after all these years, and he got a good role. Kang Tae San was the typical politician u see on TV. He wld use every means to get rid of his opponents and attain his goals. Ending for Mr Kang was...quite crappy to me as he realised his mistakes and became a gd guy. I was like...WTH? I am fine with happy ending, but everybody turning good at the last epi was just a lousy ending.
Lee Soo Kyung was under utilised here. I think she shld nt accept this role, coz' there's really nothing much for her beside the storylines related to her dad and Kang Tae San. It's good that Se Jin was not an evil role, but she cld hardly leave me with any impression. Quite a forgettable character.
Overall, I am never a big fan of political dramas, as they always focused on parties' rivalries & somehow simplified issues. If you want a good mix of rom-com & politics, check out Kim Sun Ah's Cityhall.