"Dangerous Liaisons" is a Mandarin movie, directed by a Korean director. It's great to see Jang Dong Gun acting alongside with 2 well-known actresses Zhang Ziyi & Cecilia Cheung. This movie is based on a French novel, and there were many movie adaptations. The other version I watched many years back was "Untold Scandal", acted by Bae Yong Jun & Jeon Do Yeon.
Back to the movie itself, the plot was easy to follow, and the characters' development was straight forward. It's not an artsy movie, and neither is it filled with intimacy. What I really like was the actors' chemistry and their acting. The director's filming is also different from other Chinese directors with his unique angles and style.
Jang Dong Gun is definitely familiar with his role, as he just acted like one in his korean drama "A Gentleman's Dignity". I appreciate the actor's efforts to speak his lines in mandarin, though his voice is still dubbed. JDG controlled his emotions very well within his eyes, loved his intense look at Zhang's character.
Zhang Ziyi is quite a well established actress so there's no doubts with her acting. Even though her character is not the female lead, she definitely stood out against Cecilia Cheung's role. Haha! As for her character, I felt that her change in liking JDG's Fan was abit too "sudden". What made her craved for his love? Being alone for too long? Can't stand his sweet words? Not very convincing to me that she suddenly loved him so deeply, till the extent that she willingly gave us her husband's legacy.
Cecilia's past works were never interesting to me, but I know she can act. She did not disappoint me with her brlliant performance as Ms. Mo. She had this very classy look and all her dresses looked so well on her. Ms. Mo controlled all the events within her hands, but she ended "losing" the game.
Maybe it's time to read the original novel :)
