No.of Eps: 25
Yr/TV Stn: 2012/TVB
Cast:
Kenneth Ma ~ Zhang Yi Jian
Tavia Yeung ~ Fan Zhi Yu
Mandy Wong ~ Hong Mei Xue
Him Law ~ Yang Pei Cong
Synopsis: (edited from just-tvb.blogspot.sg)
Zhang Yi Jian is a higher trainee in Neurosurgery department. He takes his work seriously and strictly follows the rules. His group of medical interns respects him just as much as they fear him. Jian wants to fulfill his younger brother's wish to study overseas but he is paralysed. Jian works hard and concentrates on his job in order to save enough money and did not think about relationship until he meets Zhi Yu, who's the daughter of Jian's mentor. Yu initially dislikes Jian as she sees him as a bootlicker, but soon she realises that Jian is a kind-hearted person despite his cool surface. Yu takes the initiative to pursue him. On the other hand, intern Cong also falls for Yu, and is disappointed to know that she likes Jian instead.
Yu finally found her long lost younger sister, Mei Xue, who happens to be one of the interns as well. Mei Xue learns that Yu likes Jian and decides to fight for her love, causing Yu to avoid Jian as he realises that Yu is the one for him.
Yu suffers from backaches and realises that she has a tumour near her spine...
Review:
"On Call" has made it to one of my favourite TVB medical series, and perhaps one of the best series in 2012. The script was well written and the characters were well layered in terms of characteristics and developments. The drama as a good balance of medical cases and relationships. This is one thing that I like about HK medical dramas as they are not lopsided, unlike their Korean counterparts (just too much focus on rivalry and medical scenes. Too dry!)
The ending of the drama was considered "happy", though to me it's more like an open ending as they did not kill off Tavia's Yu. We all knew her cancer will never be cured....On the other hand, I like the pairing of Mei Xue & Benjamin. Their scenes are spicier than Jian-Yu. Haha!
I always enjoyed Kenneth's acting, even though he can be quite woody at times. Yi Jian can be very strict and friendly at the same time, and Kenneth managed to show these difference. His emotional scenes were not overdone, and I thought he did better than Tavia in terms of emotional display.
Tavia has finally rised up to super A lister and no doubts that her acting is good. However, sometimes her acting can be a little over, and sometimes Mandy Wong outshined her.
I've sort of "complained" that I am seeing Mandy everywhere thesedays. While I thought she's "overused", I have no doubts that she's a good actress. All her characters were different and she portrayed each of them different with distinct images. This is good for an actress as I don't see the shadows of her previous role. (Many TVB artists are suffering from that...) I won't be surprise to see her leading in a drama soon, though she is still green to be a A lister.
Tavia's real life boyfriend Him Law is getting attention as well, but his outlook restricts his acting and choice of characters. I am afraid he will become another Ron Ng.
Other supporting cast are great, and I like the side plot of Jian's younger bro. Very touching but sad moments in the drama....
"On Call 2" will come very soon. Highly anticipating!
