No.of Epis:16Year/TV Station: 2009/KBS
Cast:
Ji Jin Hee ~ Cho Jae Hee
Uhm Jung Hwa ~ Jang Moon Jung
Kim So Eun ~ Jung Yoo Jin
Yoo Ah In ~ Park Hyun Kyu
Synopsis: (edited from KBS World)
Cho Jae Hee, who is in his 40s, is a very stubborn & inflexible architect who's still single. He does not know how to communicate with other people. He is obstinate and never thought of living together with somebody. One day, he comes across a lady doctor, Moon Jung, who is quite similar to himself. After that day, he feels like talking to her and comes out with all sorts of illness in order to see her for consultation. Slowly, he starts to change. He becomes closer to his neighbour Yoo Jin, and is intimate with her dog Sang gu. Jae Hee starts to meddle in people's affairs, and realises the preciousness of people around him.
Slacker's review:
"HWCM" is the Korean version of "Kekkon Dekinai Otoko" starring Abe Hiroshi & Natsukawa Yui. I have not watch the Japanese version before, so I won't be comparing both dramas la. "HWCM" finally proved to me that Ji Jin Hee could act with tons of expressions. Haha! Alright, his characters had been rather serious all these while...so I never find him a very expressive actor. Anyway, the plot followed the original drama quite closely, so the korean elements were kinda missing, which is good. This drama is rather character-driven, as the story was built up by the interactions b/w the characters. The drama was quite comedic, thanks to Cho Jae Hee. Ending was a happy one, though some ppl thought that it's too easy for Jae Hee to accept marriage and to have kids. (Since his mindset & lifestyle have been strictly catered to himself all along). Well, I thought if after all the saga, JH & MJ still did not end up together, that would be too disappointing. Haha!
The most important character in this drama is Cho Jae Hee, as the story & characters revolved around him. CJH is a perfectionist, and he only thinks about himself. He loves eating meat, blasts classical music at home , likes to do miniature sets (buildings/ships), rents dvd during his spare time etc. CJH's fashion sense also became a new fashion trend among Korean guys. Haha! Back to the guy JJH, I loved his expressions here! CJH was really an expressive guy, he would just show all his emotions on his face. I liked to see him how he smiled when he's very happy/excited. JJH's performance was great, though I need to get used to the way he behaved and talk initially. From a very rude and bo chap person, to a guy who realised how it was like to be lonely, and to someone who could made promises & design a house for his love one....JJH portrayed the transition of JH through his solid acting. Thumbs Up!
Like JJH, Uhm Jung Hwa is quite a veteran actress. However, her previous characters did not impress me much. I am glad to see UJH again through Moon Jung, the independent woman, who yearned to be in love. It's a sad situation for women who are in their 40s and still remain single. It's ok for the guys, but the girls would be labelled as "old maids"...and that's pretty unfair huh? I really liked the interactions b/w MJ & JH. They bickered alot initially, as JH kept suan-ing MJ for being a spinster at her age. Ha! From 2 enemies, to friends, to an ambiguous couple, and finally, to a couple with common goals and mindsets....I loved this couple's transition in their relationship. I liked how UJH handled her emotional scenes, as MJ got hurt after JH's comments. (feel like humptump JH whenever he did that to MJ! Haha!)
Nice to see Kim So Eun again after "BOF". She's doing great here! Loved her scenes with her dog Sang gu, and UJH. Her little crush on CJH was funny, but the guy only had eyes for MJ...haha! Yoo Jin did not end up with Hyun Kyu in the end, but I did not mind them remained friends.
Support cast Yoo Ah In & Yang Jung Ah did a good job too. I liked their scenes with their boss CJH. Hahaha!
OST was alright, there are songs sung by Shin Hye Sung (Shinhwa), Ji Jin Hee & Uhm Jung Hwa.