Monday, November 23, 2009

TV Drama Review #218 - Moonlight Resonance 溏心风暴之家好月圆

No.of Epis: 40
Year/TV Station: 2008/TVB
Cast:
Louise Lee ~ Zhong Xiao He
Ha Yu ~ Gan Tai Zu
Susanna Kwan ~ Zhong Xiao Sha
Michelle Yim ~ Yin Hong
Moses Chan ~ Gan Yong Jia
Ryamond Lam ~ Gan Yong Hao
Tavia Yeung ~ Sun Hao Yue
Chris Lai ~ Gan Yong Yuan
Fala Chen ~ Gan Yong Qing
Vincent Wan ~ Gan Yong Zhong
Linda Chung ~ Yu Su Qiu (Su Xin)
Lee Heung Kam ~ She Li Jun
Bosco Wong ~ Ling Zhi Xin
Kate Tsui ~ Lu Jia Mei
Synopsis: (edited from tvb.com.au)
Zhong Xiao He and her husband Gan Tai Zu have been working hard for many years to establish a famous reputation for the Moonlight Cake Shop. However, He discovers that Zu has an affair with her best friend Yin Hong and she divorces Zu. He brings along her children Yong Hao, Yong Qing and her adopted daughter Hao Yue to set up another cake shop for a living. Hong moves in to live with Zu and starts playing tricks in the family. She try to please her mother-in-law in every way while disuniting her stepsons and Zu. Outside the family, Hong starts expanding their business rapidly and He's younger sister Xiao Sha is displeased. Sha decides to fight for the ownership of their cake shop's brand name in court with Hong and their relationship with Hong further deteriorates.
Apart from the cake shop business, He also spends a lot of efforts on her children. Her oldest son Yong Jia is not interested in managing the cake shop and he indulges himself in stock trading. He also develops a relationship with his cousin Jia Mei, while Hao Yue is secretly in love with him. On the other hand, Yong Hao takes up the role of a father in the family and he works hard to earn a living. Hao loves his childhood friend Yu Su Qiu whole-heartedly but Qiu is in love with the doctor Ling Zhi Xin.
Zu is caught between the two women all the time and he feels helpless. One day, a disaster happens at the cake shop. Here comes a time when human nature, family bonds and love are brought to a trail...
Slacker's review:
After watching "Heart of Greed", "Moonlight" became one of my highly anticipated dramas in 2008 and the scriptwriters did not disappoint me. I thought "Moonlight" was more intense in terms of developments and there were more baddies this time round. (Very shiok to see the women quarrelling all the time...lolz!) "Heart" was abt a family which broken up, while "Moonlight" was the opposite. I enjoyed the moments of Zu & his children; singing, playing & joking with each other. They got so many "theme songs" & interesting terms to describe people and events. The ending was a happy one, but I thought Hong's punishments were too "easy" on her. I guessed the only part I did not like was the relationship between Hao, Qiu & Xin. It's really boring & draggy....and I hate to see Qiu crying for her indecisiveness.
The veteran's performance was great as usual. Michelle Yim was damn good in her evil role. Seriously, I thought her expressions and acting was better than Susanna Kwan in "Heart". Susanna's character continued to annoy me in "Moonlight". Hahaha! I really cursed her from Day 1, and Sha Sha's husband was another kns fella. (They made a perfect couple~)
I thought Ha Yu's performance was much better in "Moonlight" too. Gan Tai Zu's character was rather similar to Bao Bao in "Heart". Another indecisive man who let women controlled his family. But well, I thought Zu had more interactions with his children, and he was more decisive after Hong showed her true colours. Louise Lee was alright, not much difference from her previous role. I thought Lee Heung Kam was a good addition to the cast, and I only started to like her when she worked against Hong. Haha!
As for the kids...Moses's character stood out from the crowd, though I still missed "Hai Ke Yi". Xiao Jia seemed to be a bo chap guy, but he actually cared a lot for his family. Moses's acting was great as he acted nonchalant to the family issues with great expressions. I liked his flirty behaviour towards the ladies too. Compared to Moses, Raymond Lam's Xiao Hao was too boring. A plain good guy could not stand out la. Furthermore, I did not like his relationship development with Su Qiu. I wished TVB gave Xiao Hao another girl..haha! Raymond's performance was average as his character was plain boring. What a pity~ Tavia's Xiao Yue was another woman with character. I liked how she worked against Sha Sha la...damn funny. Of course, Yue also shed lots of tears in the drama because of the adopted daughter issue. Thank goodness, they let Yue end up with Jia, or else I would curse TVB. Fala's Yong Qing was another character which was quite different from the rest. She's not a weak woman and did not succumb to her disability. It's a pity that they did not focus much on her relationship with Jia Le. (Their development was just way too fast~)
I liked Linda's role in "Heart", but I disliked Qiu so much here. This woman is what I called a weak character. I hated her for using Hao as a spare tyre, and I disliked her fickle mindedness. I disliked her on & off relationship with Xin...and she has no chemistry with Bosco. Ha! Finally, our lady ended up with Hao, but I was too bored with their draggy developments, so I could not feel anything for this couple. Bosco's role was minor here, so I did not have much comments for his character Xin. Xin was another fella who's fickle minded as he could not cut off his relationship with his gf.
I never liked Kate Tsui, be it her roles or her acting. She did reasonably well this time, as another evil woman Jia Mei. Haha! It's kinda funny to see Jia Mei sabotaging Hong in the last min. Jia Mei could not convince me that she had finally realised her mistakes.
Last but not least, Chris Lai was so underused in "Moonlight"! Xiao Yuan was the only son who was "disconnected" with the family until he saw the true colours of his stepmum. I could not feel his chemistry with Kate too, as their relationship just took off from nowhere.
Theme song is "Wu Xin Hai Ni" by Susanna Kwan, while insert song is "Ai Bu Jiu" by Raymond. Loved Raymond's ballads...