Tuesday, September 25, 2007

TV Drama Review #97 - The 1st Shop of Coffee Prince 咖啡王子一号店

How long? 17 epis
When & which tv stn? 2007/MBC
Who's in?
Yoon Eun Hye ~ Go Eun Chan
Gong Yoo ~ Choi Han Kyul
Lee Sun Gyun ~ Choi Han Sung
Chae Jung Ahn ~ Han Yoo Joo
What's it abt? (edited from dramawiki)
Eun Chan had to take up many jobs to pay off debts and even gave up her feminine image. Choi Han Kyul is the heir of a big food company, but his grandmother wants him to settle down, so she arranged many dates for him. After Eun Chan bumped into Han Kyul and was mistaken for a boy, Han Kyul decided to hire Eun Chan to be his gay lover in order to avoid the arranged dates. Desperately in need of money, Eun Chan had no choice but to accept. Han Kyul's grandmother also made Han Kyul in charge of a filthy coffee shop in danger of being bankrupt. Eun Chan begged to work at the coffee shop, and not long after, feelings start to spark. How would Han Kyul accept his "homosexuality"?
Love & Hates:
This drama was interesting initially, especially when Han Kyul was confused over his feelings. However, the plot went back to standard Korean storylines after HK found out that EC was a girl. That might also be the cause of the viewership ratings unable to cross the 30% mark towards the end. Nonetheless, the drama is still quite refreshing with a cafe background and interesting characters. The only part I disliked was the storyline b/w Han Sung and Yoo Joo. Well, dunno what the girl is thinking, though they finally got back together. The other side plots b/w other characters were all right, and I like the bond b/w the staffs of Coffee Prince.
YEH shed her old image and it turned out to be very successful. Now there's sort of a trend to have a super boyish haircut for gals. Haha. I think she tried very hard to be in this role, from her deepen voice, to her behaviour and dressing. I think she did a gd job.
GY finally impressed me this time round. Actually I think I havent seen his other dramas, butta they seemed normal to me. (That's why I didnt watch mah...) I loved how he coped with his "homosexuality". Though I didnt quite like the part when he was angry with EC at one moment, and got back with her quickly the next moment. What's that? Emotions cld switched back so easily ah? His expressions were vivid too...good job!
Impression of LSG was alright when he's in "Loveholic"..was a baddie then. This time round, couldnt' get use to his nice guy image at first, but then he carried off well as the drama goes. It's quite a pity his side plot with EC was so short..hehe!
CJA is like YEH, a singer before. Her acting was alright, not much expressions from her and I didnt like her character. What a pity!
OST was nice...very jazzy, relax & light-hearted.
Worth watching?
I think it's quite interesting, a drama u shouldn't miss.