Tuesday, October 14, 2008

TV Drama Review #156 - Gakko ja Oshierarenai! 学校学不到的事

No.of Epis: 10
Year/TV Station: 2008/NTV
Cast:
Fukada Kyoko ~ Aida Mai
Tanihara Shosuke ~ Himuro Kensaku
Naka Riisa ~ Yokoyama Eri
Nakamura Aoi ~ Mizuki Kazuki
Maeda Goki ~ Narita Shizuya
Asakura Aki ~ Kenjo Hitomi
Kato Mizuki ~ Suzumura Rei
Norizuki Kohei ~ Inai Shintaro
Natsume Suzu ~ Kameda Maho
Yanagisawa Daisuke ~ Nagasaki Kiyoshi
Morisaki Win ~ Nishikawa Tomu
Yagyu Miyu ~ Yoshizawa Kana
Miura Aoi ~ Shingyoji Natsume
Synopsis: (edited from Dramawiki)
Aida Mai is in her third year as an english teacher at a private all-girls high school. Due to declining enrollment, the school decides to admit its first male students. Those five freshmen initially feel they're in paradise, and the concerned Mai tries to help them adjust by creating a social dance club and invites five girls. These ten students, through the social dance club and Mai, will learn things that they could not learn in school.
Slacker's review:
Personally I am rather critical when it comes to school-themed dramas, though I like dramas such as "GTO", "Gokusen" etc. So "Gakko" seemed to be another ordinary school-themed drama...but the storyline is rather different from the rest. It's not about a gang of boys or girls trying to rule the sch or having problematic behaviours with teachers. It focused on 5 1st-batch boys and 5 girls who were outcasted by the rest. I also get to see Aida trying to get the social dance club recognised by the school. There are some taboo topics covered here, and I thought they're quite daring. The "horny" guys who prayed to the "G-string" altar, waiting for tt day when Aida wld wear it. Lolz..We get to know what these young boys are thinking in their heads (nothing good ah..lolz!) The other topics include homesexuality-both boys and girls, and having sex. But don't worry, you don't get to see erhem stuffs here, it's actually a healthy way of presenting such issues through a drama. We get to see the 10 of them bond with each other, and fall in love with their individual dance partners. The side plot wld be the romance b/w Aida and the weird princpal Himuro.
I think u guys wld only know Fukada here..well she's not the main lead actually, but her role is impt. I had a gd laugh when she did her sailor moon hand sign. So cute and kawaii~! Fukada's performance was alright, but kinda constraint with her teacher role ba. I enjoyed her performance in "Yama Kabe"..but Aida is a rather ordinary role.
Tanihara has worked with Fukada for quite a no. of times, nice chemistry from them, but his role didn't have lots of scenes la. Most of the time, Himuro is a secretive principal who always stay in his dark room. Haha..but i like his last scene with Aida...finally he's back to "normal" liao.
Abt the 10 teens...they are not that bad, quite natural, though some of them can be quite annoying, for e.g Eri. Hahaha! I found Shingyoji (Miura) quite an interesting character..Miura's acting was not bad...and she's pretty. Nakamura is also good in handling his scenes, especially when he has to confess to Nishikawa.
I like one of the instrumental used throughout the drama. No themesongs for this drama though. I would recommend to those who like japanese sch-based dramas. This drama has a different perspective and i thought it's quite refreshing.