Saturday, October 25, 2008

TV Drama Review #157 - 33 pun Tantei 33分侦探

No.of Epis: 9
Year/TV Station: 2008/FujiTV
Cast:
Domoto Tsuyoshi ~ Kurama Rokuro
Mizukawa Asami ~ Muto Rikako
Takahashi Katsumi ~ Police Inspector Otawara
Synopsis: (edited from Dramawiki)
The drama's title comes from its time slot (Saturday nights at 11:10pm), which runs a total of 33 minutes after commercial time is subtracted. This comedy features a slow-witted sleuth named Kurama Rokuro. While viewers will be able to identify the criminal right away, Kurama constantly comes up with incorrect theories, leading him to always accuse the wrong person, and he has to expand the story so that each episode's mystery is solved within the 33 minutes time span.
Slacker's review:
This is quite a silly detective-comedy drama. Actually I was expecting something like "Kindaichi", but the plot differed totally. So u can guess how disappointed I was. Haha! Actually I didn't really enjoy the show. First is the way Kurama solved the cases were rather similar. For e.g., he will go to find a guy and a gal in the lab to help him out, and go to find another guy who's always disguise in various job setting, and Kurama has to bribe him for more information. The second reason was, the mysteries were not interesting or exciting to me, maybe because we already know who the culprits were. The drama was rather comical...at the starting of every epi, there will be some weirdos trying to sell things to Muto, but in the end, Otawara wld just came in and slammed the door at the fella. The scenes when the 3 of them travelled in a car to the crime scene, they're obviously driving a fake car, and the background of the driving scenes were also fake..haha! Also, the way they pour coffee, I don't know why they have to drop a ball or what onto the self-made machine and wait till the ball landed, then they can pour coffee. I thought it shld auto pour coffee, but i'm wrong. Haha! Ending scenes were funny too, the 3 of them would stopped in their position and hang on for several mins before bursting into laughter.
I bet many of us are waiting for Domoto's comeback, but then, this drama definitely won't be a classic drama for Domoto...I still missed his performance in "Summer Snow", and I really hope to see him in a more standard drama in the future. Domoto has a very strong and unique style here...Kurama loves wearing the pants which only reach his ankles, and his clothes are mostly in suits, plus his specs. Domoto is really the ideal actor for Kurama...his performance was not bad, but there's not much character development for this character. Mizukawa and Takahashi are not bad too...Mizukawa is Kurama's funny assistant, and I am wondering if Mizukawa's Muto likes Kurama or nt.
Themesong is "Secret Code" by Kinki Kids...not very catchy to me though.
Personally I won't recommend this drama as it's really quite lame somehow. However, if you missed Domoto Tsuyoshi and u wanna have a good laugh, do give "33 pun tantei" a try. It's a short drama anyway...no harm trying. Hehe!

P.S: Surprise surprise! 33pun Tantei is coming back for a season 2 this coming Spring season in 2009. If you've watched season 1...maybe u can look out for season 2. But I don't think I wld watch it.