Tuesday, December 02, 2008

TV Drama Review #162 - Tazza 老千

No.of Epis: 21
Year/TV Station: 2008/SBS
Cast:
Jang Hyuk ~ Kim Go Ni
Han Ye Seul ~ Lee Nan Sook / Jin Ah
Kim Min Joon ~ Lee Young Min
Kang Sung Yun ~ Mdm. Jung
Synopsis:
Based on the original manhwa, Go Ni is a young man with warm hearted soul and has a natural talent for gambling since his childhood. Both Nan Sook and Young Min have been close friends of Go Ni since young. In an attempt to raise money for his grandmother's surgery, Young Min ends up losing a round of "hwatu" and crosses over to the dark side, working under the ruthless Ah Gwi. Go Ni, who wants to help Young Min, steal his mother's money but lost the money in the end. In the end, he has to fled Busan and found out that his father's death is related to Dae Ho, the man who's like a father to him. Go Ni decided to learn "Hwatu" from a top tazza gambler and plots his revenge. Nan Sook, whose brother is jailed, has to work under Mdm. Jung due to circumstances, and now she works under the same boss with Young Min. Though she still longs for Go Ni, she's no longer the same Nan Sook. Now, with her new name "Jin Ah", she plots traps for her "targets" while she attends university. Go Ni finally met up with Nan Sook and Young Min, but later he finds out that both of them are working under Ah Gwi, the person who caused his father and Dae Ho's death. Later, to help Ah Gwi get rid of Go Ni, Young Min puts Go Ni to jail by framing him for murder.
Slacker's review:
Tazza has a movie version, but the drama is kinda different, with alterations in the plot and addition of new characters. Honestly, I nv expect much from Tazza, the plot and characters didn't have much attractions. I am watching more for the cast....but surprisingly, Tazza's plot was quite cool. The first few epis were like laying the background b/w Go Ni, Nan Sook and Young Min. It might be a little boring, but once they left the "high sch" stage, everything wld be in great pace. I like Young Min's transition...and Kim Min Joon really did a good job. I liked how Young Min struggled with his guilt, and how he decided to go on with his plans without any regrets. I like his scenes vs Jang Hyuk. Go Ni is that kind of character which Jang Hyuk fittted completely. Basically it's nothing new for JH to portray such a character. (I wonder how it wld be if JH acts as Young Min...shld be a different feeling...) I like how Go Ni and his gang outplayed Young Min and Ah Gwi. Just as u thought they were losing, here comes the twist and they won. Cool.
Many ppl criticised Han Ye Seul's acting. I think she's not that bad, but her portrayal of Nan Sook seemed to be abit stiff at times. Nan Sook's expressions kinda limited somehow...not sure is it becoz' of HYS's acting or becoz' the character was supposed to be like this. Her chemistry with JH was average...but I wld think that it's because the relationship b/w the two wasn't really being build upon or given more focus.
Kang Sung Yun's Mdm Jung was good...she had the sexy and seductive look. I like how she did things for Young Min...and how she cried when she read Young Min's letter to her. The final scene was when she shot Ah Gwi..everybody's shocked. I can see how much she wanted Ah Gwi dead. Terrific job KSY!
The other support cast, like Kim Gap Soo's "Ah Gwi", and Son Hyun Joo's "Go Gwang Ryul" did a good job too. You can't flaw these veteran's acting.
Well, I wld recommend this drama to you guys. Don't avoid it becoz' of its genre (gambling & gangsters). The drama will bring u the happy, emotional and sad times between the characters. I really like the ending....very satisfied.